Friday, November 17, 2006

Moving your 'IE7 Menu Bar' Back to the Top

Those of you with IE7 are bugged with its menubar asI am. May be guys are "Geeks are Sexy" were even more annoyed because they put together a great tutorial on how to get it back to where it belongs.

The first thing I noticed when I installed IE7 on my Windows box was the very inconvenient location of the address bar. Why the heck is it located above the menu bar? (File, edit, view, etc.) I don't know what the folks at Microsoft thought when they designed IE7 that way, but this must be one of the most idiotic design decision they've ever made (For me at least).

For those who think that the address bar should be back at the bottom of IE7's menu section, do not despair! There is a simple registry tweak that will let you put it back as it was in IE6. All you need to do to set thing right again is add a simple key to your XP registry. Here's how to do it:

(Warning: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft or WE cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.)

- Close all IE browsers before doing anything
- Start your registry editor [Start -> Run > regedit >OK]. Your see your registry editor.
- On the left hand pane, browse to

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ InternetExplorer \ Toolbar \ WebBrowser" and be sure that the WebBrowser key is selected.
- Right-click the right pane of the registry editor;

select New>DWORD Value, and name it "ITBar7Position"
- Double click that new value, and assign it with a decimal value of 1
- Restart IE7


Bingo ! You're done it.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At November 18, 2006 at 8:29:00 AM GMT+5:30 , Blogger Kiltak said...

Excuse me,

I don't really like people ripping my articles word for word.. I don't really mind about conventional posts, but when I take the time and write some longer stuff, I'd appreciate if you would just put in a resume and point your readers to me.

Thank you for your consideration

Kiltak [GAS]

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home